The drugmaker Pfizer has announced that its COVID-19 vaccine is more than 90% effective, after early analysis of clinical trial data.

We may finally have a vaccine against COVID-19. On Monday, drug maker Pfizer announced that its vaccine is over 90% effective. If this trend continues, the vaccine may receive approval for use. 

Pfizer’s COVID-19 Vaccine

CNN reports that Pfizer looked at the data from the first 94 confirmed cases among the 43,000 trial subjects. These subjects received two doses of the vaccine or a placebo. During the analysis, the team found fewer than 10% of the 94 cases received the vaccine. On the other hand, over 90% of the patients received the placebo. 

How Effective Is Pfizer’s Vaccine?

Moreover, Pfizer noted that its vaccine had an efficacy rate higher than 90% a week after the second dose. This data means the vaccine protects people 28 days after they get their dose. You need two doses. The FDA says any COVID-19 vaccine must have an efficacy rate of at least 50%.

The drug company said it would seek approval from the FDA once it monitors the subjects for two months. The volunteers would have already received their second vaccine dose by this time. 

The Pfizer Trial

Since July 27, the Pfizer trial enrolled 43,538 volunteers. As of Sunday, 38,955 received their second dose. Meanwhile, 42% of the tests occurred in international sites. In the US, 30% of the testing sites involved subjects from different races and ethnicities.

This trial seeks 164 confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection. 

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said the vaccine might be “the greatest medical advance” in the last century.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.